Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tumor on Brain and stem
Jul 22, 2004

My friends partner of 18 years has been diagonosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma B cell in the brain, his T-cells were 25 VL- very high, both went off HART 2 yrs ago. Started HARRT 5/04 T-cells now 144. He is to start raditation in a week the brain area. With his slurred speech and crossed eyed one side of body and face are drooping. I guess my question is will he be able to pull through or should he be making end of life choices? I noticed depression and changes in mood a year ago. His partner is my life long friend, from what I have been able to research surrival is less then 3-4 months even with radiation. Is this true.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Non-Hodgkins lymphoma of the brain is a very serious complication of AIDS. The neurologic symptoms you described (slurred speech, weakness on one side of face and body, depression) are signs that the tumor has already done some damage in the brain.

However, radiation treatment to the brain can be very effective. It is also encouraging that he restarted HAART and his T cells are responding to treatment. I have been treating a patient who was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma of the brain several years ago. She is alive and has done well since her radiation treatment.

Your friend has reason to be hopeful for recovery and longer survival. However, this is a serious and potentially life-threatening illness, and making end of life choices would be prudent.

Previous
HIV Positive and Feeling Sad
Next
Mental Faculities and Newly Diagnosed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.