any hope 4 dementia

I am confused on the issue of HIV dementia. I read many conflicting articles on the subject. I am hoping you can help me clarify some of my issues. My current HIV meds are;fuzeon, kaletra, ddi,3tc, ziagen and viread. This is obviously a slavage regime. I have achieved an undectable VL-however I do have partial resistance to several of the meds in my combo. I just read an article stating that hiv continues to cause death and destruction of brain cells due to poor access to the brain resulting from low penetration of aid meds. If this is true-should I expect continued decline of my cognitive functioning? I already have to take dexadrine because I my motor skills and memory have deteriorated. This is very sobering

Response from Dr. Horwath

There are many questions about HIV-associated dementia that remain unclear. However, the evidence from research studies shows that if your antiretroviral drugs reduce the viral load to undetectable, this is your best protection against further HIV disease in the brain.

It is true that some antiretroviral meds penetrate into the brain better than others. There is a debate as to whether some drug combinations might be better than others for those with dementia. But these are largely theoretical debates right now. There is no good evidence from studies to show that one regimen is superior to others for those with dementia.

It may be that we find some differences in the future, but we don't have that information now.

How long after can Hiv be detected
HIV Positive and Feeling Sad