Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV fear and OCD
Jul 6, 2004

Dear, I am living in a hostel. We live in dormitories. HIV positive detected colloquies are also stay in my dormitory. We share same bathroom. Due to shortage of place in my dormitory, the wet wears including underwear are dried up one upon other in the same clothing line. Will mixing up of underwear used by HIV + personnel will anyway make infectious to others? Washing cloths in the same bathroom is safe where things (wash basins, floor tiles) may contaminated by their body fluid? We share mobile phone also. What happen if any drop of their body fluid gone into mobile phone in the way of saliva, etc? I fear to touch mobile phone nowadays. We share hair oil, gum. What happen if any drop of body fluid mix with those? So, I fear to use hair oil and fear to touch any sticky objects like gum, oil, adhesive tape, grease etc. Doctors say, Sperm cell live as long as it is wet. Will HIV sperm (through their wet wears) survive in leather objects like shoes, purses, and bag as the way it absorbs sweat? Will it survive in the socks and socks when used with leather? Will HIV virus survive in the books /dictionary used by them later used by me? I fear to ride motor cycles driven by them in the fear that the handle grip may contain grease. Are these fears are rational? Please clarify my doubt. Thanking you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

HIV cannot be transmitted by casual contact, like living in the same area, riding the same motor cycle, drying underwear on the same line, sharing mobile phones, sharing hair oil, adhesive tape, books, purses, socks, etc.

Previous
my son
Next
Treatment and Depression

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.