Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

needle stick outside healthcare settings
Jul 6, 2004

i have a question, is it true that needle stick accident outside helathcare settings is not a way to transmit HIV? and is it possible to inject someone while he is moving/walking?

my friend felt someone prick him with a needle on a night club, no blood visible, but, there is a small red bump (less than 1 cm)

should i recommend him to get a test at 3 and 6 months? PEP is too late for him, now, he is having hairloss and backache, is it sign of stress?

i have seen a question like this on 1999, answered by dr rick, but i think i still need to question again, because it's 5 years old answer

thanx for the answer, a worried friend

Response from Dr. Horwath

A needlestick can transmit HIV only if the needle is contaminated with blood or other infected fluids from someone with HIV infection. Outside of healthcare settings, the main place this happens is among injection drug users who share uncleaned needles or other equipment.

I don't know what your friend felt in the nightclub, but it doesn't sound like a risk for HIV, especially if there was no visible blood. If he's really concerned, have him get an HIV test at 3 and 6 months.

Previous
How the government effects HIV epidemic
Next
HIV DEMENTIA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.