HIV Chances

Hi. I had unprotected sex 3 times with the same girl a few weeks back. I caught an std and it is now cured but I am worried about HIV. Assuming she does have HIV, is it still possible that I did not get it?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Yes, it is possible. There is a risk of HIV infection from unprotected sex, and the risk goes up in the presence of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). An STD can inflammation or open sores in the lining of the genitals, which increases the risk of being infected with HIV.

You would be wise to ask your partner if she knows her HIV status, and to get tested yourself. If you were exposed and are infected, then the test would come back positive after several weeks. If it is negative, you might want to recheck after a few months.

But the best thing to do is not to expose yourself to this risk again. Use condoms when you have sex. This will protect you from STD and from HIV.

aids in learning
family member with hiv