Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I Hypochondriac?
May 11, 2004

Dear Doctor, Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. I am a 29yr old male and always healthy and always had protected sex. I met a distinguished 50 year old lady and on April 1st was our first sexual contact. We gave each other oral sex. Then just before putting on a condom I think I did do half a penetration for like 4 seconds without protection. Then put on the condom (i am cicumsized). I started getting paranoid about HIV since I have General Anxiety. I took her to do blood test 21days after the contact (meaning 22nd April), both were negative. I tried to ask her about her last 3 months but she refused to answer since we did not know each other and I kind of freaked her out about persistangly wanting to do a blood test even when she told me she was clean! I have muscle tension and sometimes feel my joint knees hurt. I had no diarhea or vomit or inflated tonsuls (lymph nodes i guess is what you call it)and lately i dont know if I have fever (im always just on 37.5c or below). I have so much gases too. Im stressed!!!! Am I hypochondriac or do I have to be worried? How accurate is the test after 21 days? and after say 6 weeks?

many thanks

Response from Dr. Horwath

If you've had several negative HIV tests over several months, then you should have confidence in the outcome of the tests. You are HIV negative. These tests are extremely sensitive and accurate, especially after several months have passed.

The chief lesson to learn is to always use protection during sex. You said that you always had protected sex, but penetration before putting on a condom is not protected sex. The condom needs to be on before any penetration occurs.

Previous
multiple lymph nodes
Next
Sustiva, Wellbutrin & recovery?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.