OCD on HIV for years

Dr,

I am writing to you to ask for your help, because I cannot get over it.

I have OCD on HIV for years, but i used to calm down after testing beyond the 6 months mark.

I have tested (antibodies) up to 15 months after the encounter, more than 5 times including sometimes p24, all negative. Negative Hepatitis B and C, but still extremeley worried.

I have been with a man for a year now and I am about to get married, but still cannot get over what happened 15 months ago (3 months before I met the man I love)...

I was fine, but suddenly all changed and i got scared again: I am spending my time thinking what if I was in exception and what are the chances of me seroconverting after 15 months! I know this is crazy, I am well educated and aware , but simply I cannot get rid of this idea...

Can you please confirm to me that there was NO cases of seronversion after 14/15 months negative Elisa? May be this will help coming from you...

Do you know of somebody who experienced the same problem and got over it???

Choices of therapists are not so great in my country and am seeing one of the best

Thank you and God Bless you

Response from Dr. Horwath

You did well to get tested. Now that you have been tested, have confidence in the outcome of the tests. You are HIV negative, and this is something to be happy about. These tests are extremely sensitive and highly accurate.

If you continue to feel anxious even though your tests are negative, consider getting some therapy. The anxiety may be coming from some other concern, ie. concerns about trust, worries about your own sexual behavior, or something else. Talking about these issues with a professional may be very helpful for your anxiety.

More than anything, make sure you protect yourself when having sex and don't inject drugs. If you do these things, then you will be protected from infection, which is much more adaptive than taking risks and then hoping to test negative.

Negative but still anxious about HIV
Positive for 15 years/down to last combo