The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried: HIV positive woman with negative man....

Apr 21, 2004

I have tested positive in July 2003.I am not on meds yet as my CD 4 is still reasonable high.I have been going out with my boyfriend for 3 yrs now with a very exciting relationship.He is negative but in the past three months he has been acting funny.He used to talk about us getting married and how much he understands about my condition.He does not talk about marriage or any future plans now.Do you think he realised that he cannot commit himself to marrying me with a chronic illness from which I can die tomorrow.I know he has his own life to lead but I also think it is a bit unfair for him to just change suddenly. I am not sure I can disclose my status to a new partner I can meet and therefore it is difficult for me to just move on and forget about him.He used to be a supportive and understanding partner to me.Is this what I should have expected or the treatment and rejection that positive people receive?

Response from Dr. Horwath

First, you need to speak to him about this subject. At this point, you don't know why his behavior has changed. The best course is to ask him about the change. Relationships go through all sorts of changes over time, and his pulling back may have nothing to do with your HIV status.

Scared of HIV medication
Drug Interactions between Levitra and HIV/depression meds?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint