The use of Antidepressants

Hi Doc, I have been hiv+ for +-6years now and doing well. I do how ever find that the depression wants to come back but not to bad! What antidepressants can be taken not to interfere with my meds? I'm on crixivan and combiver. Many Thanks

Response from Dr. Horwath

There are many effective and safe antidepressants available. The SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)comprise the group of antidepressants that is least likely to interfere with antiretroviral meds. In this group, Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), and Lexapro (escitalopram) are the drugs with no clinically significant drug interactions. Prozac (fluoxetine) and Paxil (paroxetine) both inhibit an enzyme (CYP450 2D6) which is involved in the metabolism of some drugs, and require some caution when administered along with tricyclic antidepressants and certain other drugs.

Consult with your doctor to see if any of these drugs are indicated for you.

Do SNRI's dangerously raise adrenaline levels?
Scared of HIV medication