HIV Positive and Sex Drive is Gone !?

I've been HIV+ for 21 years now while only having to deal with symptoms that began two years ago. VL undetectable TC 450 and all other labs normal. I'm in a relationship with a wonderful man who I love dearly and he's been a trouper dealing with my ups and downs that come with the virus and/or treatment of. I'm not taking any antidepressants although it would probably help with the underlying level of anxiety that accompanies HIV and I'm sure I'm depressed and am in denial but more disturbing is I have no sex drive. I don't even feel aroused when I should be. I don't "cruise", it's not appealing or even intresting to me anymore. Porn isn't even appealing when it always has been in the past. I feel bad for my partner because of this absence but I can't pretend or force sex. Viagra doesn't effect me, I believe one needs to feel aroused for it to even work and with me I'm just blah. I don't feel I even have a sexual identity anymore and I don't look at myself as a sexual being or even sexually attractive. This has been building for two years now since the first signs of HIV infection and having to deal with symptoms and/or med. side effects. I feel like I'm having an identity crisis and lack self esteem. Maybe because I feel like damaged goods and I can't hide it like I have in the past. Is this a common mental blow for us HIVers? And if I don't wish to take more meds such as anti depressants any ideas? Thanks for your time and support in this fantastic site. Props to all !!

Response from Dr. Horwath

Men with HIV sometimes develop low testosterone levels, which can cause loss of libido, depression, fatigue, loss of muscle mass. Consult with your doctor and he can order a testosterone level.

Loss of libido can also occur with other endocrine (hormonal) disorders, such as thyroid disorders, Addison's disease, and diabetes mellitus. Addison's disease can be caused by HIV, and diabetes may be a complication of the metabolic effects of the protease inhibitors.

Loss of libido can occur in people with alcohol dependence and some types of substance abuse. Loss of libido is a common side effect of some antidepressants, such as the SSRI's (Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Luvox). There are other medications which can effect libido. You might want to review your medications with your doctor to see if any of them might benthe culprit.

Problems Sleeping after medications and diagnosis
Non stop Headache 24 hours