HIV and Herpes piggyback?

I had unprotected vaginal sex in January. Within 5 days I had genital ulcers, muscle pain in legs and extreme fatigue. A culture revealed a positive Herpes outbreak. It lasted about 3 weeks. My partner described same symptoms and was diagnosed as well. She also told me she came down with a bad case of Vaginitis. I got a 8 week antibody test for HIV and HBV both came back negative. I have a white looking tongue and dull pain in my right groin area, one night of fever and sweating about 1 week after my neg. test. Can I feel good about my negative test at 8 weeks? Also can hiv piggy back with herpes? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

A negative test 8 weeks after exposure should be very reassuring. The vast majority of people will convert their serology within 3 months of exposure. If you'd like further reassurance, get another test now.

But remember, you'll continue to have these fears of exposure if you continue to have unprotected sex. The cure is to practice safe sex.

I would not say that HIV piggbacks with Herpes. These are both viruses that are transmitted by unprotected sex. The presence of genital Herpes or the lesions of other sexually transmitted diseases increases the risk of HIV infection by increasing the amount virus present in the genital secretions.

Positive & scared of every move
Trizivir and depression??