Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rollercoaster
Apr 8, 2004

I was diagnosed two years ago with HIV. Since then I've been on an emotional rollercoaster; grief, anger, depression, frustration. I'm sure this is common for folks in my shoes. I have a counselor, I am part of an HIV positive social group, I take antidepressants, but still feel I'm on the rollercoaster ride. Are there any other avenues I could try? I'm sure with time it gets better, at least I hope so.

Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Grief, anger, and frustration are part of the experience of coping with illness of any kind. Nobody asks to be ill, but once you are, you have no choice but to try to find a way to cope with it. This means that there will be times when you feel frustrated and angry, and times when you grieve over your losses. It can be extremely helpful to talk about these feelings with someone in whom you can trust and confide. This could be a trusted friend or a therapist, but talking is likely to be helpful.

Previous
long time survivor still fearing the worst
Next
What age should children be taught about HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.