Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Family uses illness
Apr 6, 2004

I just found out that my sister, who is in the middle of a divorce and is legally separated from her husband, told him that she was visiting me for a long weekend because I was very ill ( when in fact I was not ) so that she could go to another state to meet some guy she has been talking to on line. I am very hurt and upset over this but love my sister very much and do not want to make her mad at me but I do not think it is fair for her to use my illness like this. It makes me think that she has no clue as to what I and all others are going through with dealing with dealing with this illness on a daily basis.

How should I handle this, am I just be over sensitive or should I tell her that I am upset and risk loosing the only family member I have left?

Just dont know what to do

Boypup

Response from Dr. Horwath

Your upset feelings with your sister are understandable. She used you and your illness as an excuse for her to get away with her own behavior. You are completely within your rights to talk to her about about this, and to let her know how you feel. You may not want to anger her, but letting her think that it's OK to treat you this way is certainly not good for your relationship with her. If she cares about you, she should be able to hear from you when she does something that hurts you.

Your desire to have others treat you with dignity and sensitivity to your illness is healthy, and deserves to be spoken.

Previous
worried wife
Next
21 years of hiv no problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.