MOM IS THREATENING TO COMMIT SUICIDE BASED ON MY RESULTS

I am a teenager that is experiencing difficulties in diagnosis due to conflicting test results. My mother told me that she would probably try to kill herself if it turned out that I was in fact infected with the virus. She even told me that she did attempt to slit her wrist the night that she found out that I even had an issue or risk for HIV. Now, I am scared to let her know my status when I do find out. I just would feel guilty for lying to her. Besides this, my parents are my providers right now (I am recently 18) and I will definitely not be able to care for myself (finances, insurance, etc.) if I am diagnosed with HIV.

Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Horwath

I'm not clear on what you mean by conflicting test results. The Western blot is a highly specific test. If you have a negative Western blot, then you are negative, regardless of the results of an Elisa test, which is considered a screening test, while the Western blot is a confirmatory test.

As for your mother, if she threatens suicide, then she is in need of psychiatric help. Of course you would like to be honest with her. A threat such as this only creates a conflict for you by making you feel responsible for her threatened suicide. She should receive treatment.

Lived a life of 17 years, feel as though I'm 80...
ONANISM OR MASTURBATION