Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

in love and being pushed away
Mar 3, 2004

Hello. I am a lesbian and in love with a woman recently diagnosed with HIV. It is an online relationship, and we had made many plans for our lives. We have not been together in person yet, as she withdrew as soon as she found out. I still love her with all my heart, and just want to go thru this together. However, she is withdrawing and wanting me to leave her. She is frightened of this disease, won't discuss being together for fear of infecting me. She won't discuss counseling, the topic of HIV, or how her health is. I continue to try to be there for her, to assure her that I love her no matter what, and that thru education we can still be together, but she is so depressed, withdrawn, and frightened I sometimes can't reach her. I have become depressed as well, as my life has also changed, and I hurt, both, because she has this, and because she's shutting me out. How can I help her? How do I get thru this devestating time with her shutting me out? Will she allow me closer in time? Please help. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Ultimately, she will need to be the one who decides how to handle this situation for herself. If she is depressed and withdrawn, you might want to recommend some psychiatric treatment for her. She may be reluctant to talk to you, but might find it easier to discuss with a mental health professional, and she may be a candidate for an antidepressant as well.

Previous
HI SIR
Next
need answer for severe anxiety an fatigue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.