Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

need some comfort!!!!!
Feb 10, 2004

hello Dr. Horwath and thank you for all the much needed help you provide many of us with. I really need some peace of mind. I have remained abstinent for two years. I have had no possible exposures to hiv since then. Over the holidays I began to feel sick and it wasn't the regular cold/flu. I was extremely tired, my body ached, I felt very disoriented, I had a very sore throat, and the symptoms have stuck around now for about 6 weeks. I am now seeing floaters and my vision is a little blurred When it first began my immediate thought was that I might have hiv. I went to the doctor and I asked him to test me for everything (hiv, hep -a,b,c, mono, ect.) Everything was negative except for the mono, it was positive. This might sound like a stupid question, but is a possibility at all that since I do have mono that it affected my hiv results. Please help me, the anxiety and fear is overwhelming. thank you so much!!!!

Response from Dr. Horwath

The symptoms - fatigue, sore throat - you describe are consistent with mononucleosis. You tested HIV negative and your persistent worries about the test results is a sign of anxiety. Let it go.

Previous
Seizures and HIV treatment
Next
unpleasant side effects of zoloft

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.