Remeron

Dr. Horwath,

I know that Remeron/mirtazapine increases serotonin levels. But, does it result in higher levels of metabolized serotonin in urine? I need to know, because it is important to whether it will affect a test result.

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I'm not sure what test you're planning to take. Urinary clearance of the metabolites of serotonin have been measured in some research studies. The amounts involved are very minuscule and usually require a highly specialized lab to measure.

There are no widely available clinical tests that would pick up such minute quantitites.

Antidepressants and HIV tests
Effect of Remeron and Clonazepam on WBC's