New Itching Allergies

I am 53 and was diagnosed in 1986. I finally progressed to a viral t-cell count of less then 200 last winter and now am on state assistance for my hiv. I moved from Portland Oregon to Central Washington State 4 years ago and live with my partner. I have not had pets since I was a child at home and did not live around any animals all the while I was in Portland(aprox 30 years)I had not allergies at all that I was aware of up untill now. Now I live in a house hold with a a small parrot, a cat and a dog. The first winter that I moved over i got dry and itching skin but thought it was the dry air and weather since Portland is so very humid and damp with all the rain. I used cream and tanned which helped a bit. Now I am on Kaletra,Viread and Combiver plus blood pressure and lipid supression meds. I am taking Loratadine(prescribed) and two other anti-histamines daily and continously. I have terrible itching of the skin and start to turn pink even with all the antihistimines. The cat has been kicked out of the bedroom and now I can sleep a lot better. The dog has been relagated to the out doors a lot more but with winter comes in now almost daily. The bird is in a cage where he can be kept clean and managed a lot better but the house is small. There is an old carpet that will be removed here shortly and replaced with hardwood floors(long over due and no doubt a problem in it's own right) and the bathroom which has mold and moisture porblems is scheduled to be remodled this summer. I am beside my self with the itching and have rubbed hair off my legs as well as have rubbed the skin off my legs as well, such that it does not bleed but will scab lightly over the offended area and then heal. The anti-histimines are kicking my butt and knock me out a couple hours a day. I have to put my head down for a nap. When I am away from home it seems to recede a bit but I am never away from home long such as a week or more. Mostly just about 3 days as the animals can't be left alone for longer then that and my partner and I generaly travel and visit together. Though the animals are not mine and not really my responcibility I manage and provide the majority of the care for them. I don't know where the allergy is coming from and have only now become, energized:read frantic and desperate from the problems with this allergy and my skin problems. It seems that if I don't take my anti-histamines the itching will escalate to a pinkness and welts. In the summer I spend allmost all of my time outside and so it does not seem to be such an issue. What would you suggest I say to my HIV Dr. to try and convince them that this is getting to be a real issue for me. My HIV specialist says this is not an HIV issue and will not consider this at all under her purview. The itching has gotten worse as time has gone on and I am ready to move back to Portland if I must. Though how I will make the change and support myself, I do not know. Also I have a wonderful relationship and do not wish to terminate it, but I am becoming truly more and more miserable all the time.

Please can you suggest anything about how to get this issue resolved and addressed. Sincerely JS -itching while I type I know this may not be the correct forum but did not see any that was specifically focused on this issue. Please forgive, Thank you all very much.

Response from Dr. Horwath

It sounds like you have allergies to the animals. The itching gets worse with greater exposure to the animals and improves with lesser exposure. Perhaps you and your partner should discuss getting the animals out of your house. It would probably help your symptoms. I don't see why you would need to terminate your relationship. You should be able to talk about the problem and reach some understanding.

If you have doubts about the cause of the itching, consult an allergist for further advice.

sustiva episode
gingivitis