For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

sustiva episode

I was prescribed sustiva and ambien.I told my doctor my full medical history which includes depression,drug and alcohol. the drugs and such I have not used in 2 years.And I told him I am well versed in my disease because I was concerned about the side effects of sustiva and was advised to take this medicine at bedtime which I did.To make a long story short I did not know who I was,where I was, what sex I was, my libido was out of control. Luckily my mate was here and called the ambulance.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Sustiva has been associated with some psychiatric side effects, such as depressed mood, confusion, vivid dreams and hallucinations. However, a reaction such as you describe is not common. All of the antiretroviral medications have side effects, some of them quite serious, even life threatening. As in choosing any medication, the potential side effects need to be weighed against the benefits.

Damage in the brains of the HIV-positive
New Itching Allergies