What are the chances?

Very recently I had sex with a stripper in Las Vegas. I was drunk and stupid, I briefly performed oral sex on the exterior parts of her vagina early on in the act, and then proceeded to engage in full intercourse while wearing a condom. I was having difficulty sustaining an erection and the condom came off. I am fairly sure that I noticed this immediately, and ceased all sexual contact. I am worried sick that I might be HIV+ due to this stupidity. I have a wife and an infant son who is still breastfeeding so I don't want to risk passing anything on to them. I am planning to get tested at the first reliable stage, but for the sake of my sanity, could you tell me if my behaviour constituted low-risk or high-risk exposure to HIV? I do not know the girl's HIV status. Should I contact her and ask? Also, when and how many times should I get tested?

Thank you so much for operating this most informative forum. Reading your replies to other concerned readers has already made me breathe a little easier.

"Dummy" from Washington, DC

Response from Dr. Horwath

The oral sex you described is fairly low risk. The sexual intercourse with a condom is also low risk, but if it came off this does involve a brief exposure. Even so this one instance is still a fairly modest risk exposure. As you may know, infections such as gonorrhea and primary syphillis can increase the risk of sexual intercourse. Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you did not have an STD at the time.

HIV antibody testing is not likely to provide useful results until 3 months after exposure. For more information on HIV prevention and testing, go to http://www.thebody.com/basics.html.

Of course, the best and most basic way to protect yourself, your wife, and your baby is to avoid sexual contact with strippers in Las Vegas.

go to

Disclosure concerns...
Tired and want to die.