Questions about Lymph-nodes

Hey Doctor Horwath,

A couple of days ago, I discovered a swollon and tender Lynph-node on the right side of my neck just under my chin. This was accompanied by a tight full feeling in my throat when swallowing. This went away in a couple of days, the node returned to normal size, and all symptoms disapeared. I know that the common cold or HIV can be the cause of swollon nodes but my question is: Are swollon nodes which are caused by HIV localized as mine was, or generalized (neck, groin, and armpits)? Also, if swelling in nodes or node is caused by HiV does the swelling and tenderness come and go, or would the symptoms stay during the entire course of infection? I get mild pain in my nodes which comes and goes periodically (no swelling) is this normal?

Also I had an hiv-1 antibody test 3 weeks after last possible exposure. What are the chances of seroconverting by this time? Would you recomend re-test? I find it really stressful getting tested for HIV. But I am obviously concerned.

Lastly, thank-you so much for the time you put into this website. You and all the doctors are doing and incredable service to the public.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Swollen lymph nodes in one location are not indicative of HIV infection. Upper respiratory infections (common cold) are sometimes associated with swollen lymph nodes in the neck area.

HIV infection is associated with generalized lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes in several different areas of the body).

Life
Numbness in face, head etc.