Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Questions about Lymph-nodes
Jan 28, 2004

Hey Doctor Horwath,

A couple of days ago, I discovered a swollon and tender Lynph-node on the right side of my neck just under my chin. This was accompanied by a tight full feeling in my throat when swallowing. This went away in a couple of days, the node returned to normal size, and all symptoms disapeared. I know that the common cold or HIV can be the cause of swollon nodes but my question is: Are swollon nodes which are caused by HIV localized as mine was, or generalized (neck, groin, and armpits)? Also, if swelling in nodes or node is caused by HiV does the swelling and tenderness come and go, or would the symptoms stay during the entire course of infection? I get mild pain in my nodes which comes and goes periodically (no swelling) is this normal?

Also I had an hiv-1 antibody test 3 weeks after last possible exposure. What are the chances of seroconverting by this time? Would you recomend re-test? I find it really stressful getting tested for HIV. But I am obviously concerned.

Lastly, thank-you so much for the time you put into this website. You and all the doctors are doing and incredable service to the public.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Swollen lymph nodes in one location are not indicative of HIV infection. Upper respiratory infections (common cold) are sometimes associated with swollen lymph nodes in the neck area.

HIV infection is associated with generalized lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes in several different areas of the body).

Previous
Life
Next
Numbness in face, head etc.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.