HIV-associated dementia

Dr Horwath,

First let me thank you for all the wonderful work you've done on this site.

I have a growing concern that I suffer from HAD ( HIV-associated dementia ) based on your descriptions in previous postings. I'm wanting to know what type of professional I should seek out in evaluating this.

My main concerns are short term memory loss which has significantly impaired my ability to work day to day and manage my own affairs. I also struggle with the ability to focus and concentrate as wel as being able to figure out things which use to be simple to do.

I live in a large city and have a good population of professionals here, I just don't know where to start.

Please help,

signed,

What did I do yesterday ?

Response from Dr. Horwath

It's best to consult with a psychiatrist, who has some experience with HIV/AIDS. You should be able to find one, since you live in a large city. If you contact the local chapter of the American Psychiatric Association, they will refer you to someone with an interest in and experience in this area. Alternatively, contact the Department of Psychiatry in a medical school or university hospital. They should have someone with experience in this area.

3 Year HIV Anxiety
question about rashes