Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lexapro-vs-celexa
Dec 15, 2003

Hello-in Nove. 03-I started taking lexapro-5 mg-once a day-After a month on the med. I had a significant improvement in mood. Then I was told that my insurance would not pay for the med. I was switched to celexa 10mg. per day. I was told that it is essentially the same med. I seem to have lost the improvement in my mood though. Is lexapro and celexa the same. perhaps my mood change is not related to the med. change. please respond soon if possible-I have been so depressed and if the med is different-rather than suffering I want to try to get back on lexapro again. Thank you

Response from Dr. Horwath

Lexapro and Celexa are similar drugs, but not the same. First, these 2 drugs are most effective at different doses. The usual dose range for Celexa is 20 - 40 mg/day. Lexapro 5 mg/day is approximately equivalent to Celexa 20 mg/day. If you didn't respond to 10 mg of Celexa, you may do better with 20 mg/day.

Previous
need an aids survivor group
Next
Memory Problems Getting Worse .....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.