takin meds

i find it hard to take my meds. most of it is because of a fear of gettin sick from my meds. i find it easy to take my meds when i take a Xanax. is that ok. it takes away the fear. is that ok to do. thank u

Response from Dr. Horwath

It sounds like you're experiencing severe anxiety. Xanax is a very effective anti-anxiety drug, but it comes at a price. It's a drug that easily causes dependency. If you become dependent and then stop it suddenly, you're at risk for a severe withdrawal syndrome, including a risk of seizures.

If you feel you need an anti-anxiety drug, you might want to consult a doctor about trying a safer one, such as the longer acting benzodiazepines, clonazepam or diazepam. These medications are less dangerous if stopped abruptly.

You should also consider other treatments for your anxiety. You have a very specific fear of getting sick from antiretroviral medications. There are some cognitive-behavioral treatments that may be able to help you to develop some better ways of coping with this fear. Try consulting a psychologist who is trained in the use of cognitive-behavioral treatment for anxiety. Good luck.

Complication due to regimen?
Depression Taking A Toll