Mr Horwath , marijuana use in teenagers on the rise , (had bad incident myself).

Hello Mr. Horwath , I thank you greatly for the time you've invested in this medical forum , it is all around appreciated by those of us with crippling mental disorders , such as depression and anxiety as myself.

Well , my question is , a few weeks ago , about 3 weeks , I had a very bad trial and error processing of trying to smoke marijuana , I had about .5 grams of marijuana , and literally , went into psychosis , followed by a day of loss of memories , and little cognition about my enviroment.

Are there any potentially , dangerous chemicals , that can affect the brain permanently when used only in a trial and error process , as I did , which was once or twice?. And also ,how long does it take , if ever do they leave your system?.

Thank you very much , appreciate the response.

Marc

Response from Dr. Horwath

Marijuana can cause a variety of problems, but usually not psychosis. A severe reaction such as you described is more likely due to another drug that may have been mixed with the marijuana. This is sometimes done with phencyclidine (PCP, angel dust).

PCP can cause psychotic symptoms and severe cognitive and perceptual disturbances.

Whats the answer?
Head Trouble