Heebee Jeebees with Kaletra/Viread + antidepressants

I've been a loyal patient for about 12 yrs. Base line viral load of 68,000 copies in 1996 never climbs above 30k off haart therapy. body responds very well to any medication, but when i add any antideppresant to the regime, celexa, effexor, zoloft, wellbutrin, paxil: i get happy for about two weeks then comes headaches, nerves, wierdness, impending doom, whereas for some people these drugs take months to achieve results, my BP is shooting off the charts. Take away the anti d. things go back to normal but i get depressed Now I admitt I am big guy 6-3 240 lbs, work out cause these meds Kaletra/Viread do a number on your waist line. A low amount of androgel applied to the abdomen area,serum level of testosterone 720 now, good appetite. I even cut the celexa into 10mg pieces 3 x a week and it was enough. Two years ago i recalled when i tried norvir/3tc/viramune and added celexa same side effects occured, was seeing a psyc. then who advised me chemical clearance with PI's is poorly understood, at best. About ayear ago on a CBS 60 minute segement with Dan Rather there was a MRI test enhanced with contrast to determine the exact type of Anti D. that would be benificial for your own chemical imbalance. Now I assume with HIV infection/meds present, that type of test would flawed..so what's left? Go to Tibet? tried effexor 75mg..turned me into the hulk personality wise, not pretty..green skin.

DR. P's HIV/Marine Fighting Machine.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Some people are sensitive to the side effects of antidepressants. Sounds like you're one of those people. Reducing the dose often helps. Why not continue with the low dose Celexa (10 mg 3 X per week)? If you don't get serious side effects, and it helps your depression, then it's the right dose for you.

It is true that ritonavir containing regimens(Norvir, Kaletra) can impair the metabolism, and decrease the clearance, of some drugs. However, that should not be a problem with Zoloft or Celexa, both of which are relatively free of such drug interactions.

It is true that experiments with MRI scanning have advanced our understanding of neurotransmitters and receptors in the brain. However, there are no current clinical MRI scans that can tell us which drug is indicated or most likely to be effective. That remains as a hope for the future of neuroscience research.

Marinol and depression
STRESS FUL SYMPTOMS!