HIV and addicted to prescription pain pills

My daughter is HIV positive. She takes meds for the HIV, however she has a doctor for Infectious Disease, a psychiatrist, and one she gets pain pills from that was treating her for a knee injury from a car accident. My concern is that I believe she is addicted to prescription drugs and am worried. She takes Xanax, (and another one for anxiety that I dont remember the name of), Ambien every night for 2 years now, vicodin and oxycontin that the doctor that was treating her knee has been giving her off on and for 6 months and meds for her HIV. She was in the hospital for an allergic reaction to one of them for 5 days. Should she be having the doctors communicate before she has a major castrophe. I am concerned she is now addicted to the pain pills.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are right to be concerned. She should definitely have her doctors communicate with one another, if they aren't already doing so. Each doctor should know what other medications she is taking.

However, the fact that she is taking these medications does not mean she is addicted. Anxiety disorders can cause severe impairment, and require treatment. Xanax and other anti-anxiety medications are very effective. However, dependence can occur and her medication use should be monitored to prevent overuse or abuse.

Similarly, treating pain is also important. She may have needed the vicodin and oxycontin for her pain. Once again, her use needs to be reviewed and monitored to prevent abuse.

Perhaps it would be helpful to speak to her about your concerns. She might just appreciate your concern.

Mania/hypomania
Marinol and depression