Severe depression and mood swings

I've been on Sustiva for 2 1/2 years, and to tell the truth, the depression never went away (despite treatment w/ amitriptyline). My major concern is: is it safe to switch to Viramune? My VL is undetectable (I had two small blips in 2 years.) The other is the way to switch - take the half dose of Viramune for 15 days. Does it affect the control of the HIV? Does it raise the chance to develop resistance? Thanks for your answer. Robert

Response from Dr. Horwath

Depression due to Sustiva is sometimes persistent. If your depression did not respond to antidepressants, then it is reasonable to consider a switch to another NNRTI, such as Viramune.

A recent study compared treatment with a Sustiva-based cocktail to a Viramune-based regimen. Both Viramune and Sustiva had similar effectiveness in suppressing HIV. There is no reason to believe that a switch to Viramune will affect the control of the HIV. There is also no increased risk of developing resistance with Viramune.

HEALTH
Mania/hypomania