Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ist this denial?
Oct 31, 2003

Hello and first thank you for the useful work you make for all of us.

I was diagnosed HIV+ 2 monthes ago , i've been living with my HIV partner for 12 years. We have a very deep and loving relationship.

Now I've the feeling that he doesn't realize that I have HIV, he continues planning for the far future and just says everything will be OK. Is that denial? Am I exagerating when I say I may be dead or disabled in 5 or ten years? Should we continue or relationship "as usual"? Greetings from germany

Response from Mr. Shernoff

While your partner may be in denial, it is not denial if you both are healthy and responding well to antiretroviral meds (if you are taking them) to plan for a long future. For many people living with HIV it is a chronic and long term illness, that does not mean that it is not a serious and still life threatening illness. For many people planning for a future helps create the reality that they strive to live to fulfill. Denial would be operative if either ignored the enormous uncertainty that accompanies living with HIV.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
whats wrong with me
Next
HEALTH

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.