Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV positive - HIV negative
Oct 8, 2003

I have been HIV+ for over 13 years now. 2 years ago I started a relationship with a negative guy from Nebraska, and moved here to be with him. I told him long before we actually met about my HIV status. Our love life is terrific, but the sex didn't just taper off after some time, it stopped. I can't help but think that HIV is part of the reason that he is no longer sexual with me. We have so much enjoyable time together, but no sex. I thought it would be the other way around with me becoming less sexual as time went by, but that is not the case. I try to talk to him about this and ask him what is different or what is bothering him, but he only says "I don't know". We have tried to go to counseling together, but it is not helping. We had a fight about this that became so heated that I was arrested and put in jail for a night! I am sure that he loves me and I know I love him.... can you give me any advice on how to proceed. I don't think I can live a life loving someone without a healthy sex life.... not at 34!! Frustration is an understatement..... Is there hope for us?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

If you are not making any headway in getting him to talk about what the problem is then I would not be hopeful about the relationship improving. Communication is the very basis for any relationship. oOu have to decide whether you can live with him as a friend or if not what action you are prepared to take.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
can symptoms be brought by worry?
Next
Diagnosed positive now test negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.