Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sir please from india,have mercy dr ewald!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 2, 2003

hi

dr ewald i keep on hearing 3 months is concluisve ,but 6 months is more concluisve,but some say 3 months test should suffice.

what exactly is the scenario. 3 MONTHS OR 6 MONTHS.

I AM FROM INDIA,

I SUSPECTED THE NEEDLE TO DRAW MY BLOOD WAS CONATMINATED,BUT IAM NOT SURE OF IT. THIS INCIDENT TOOK PLACE ON MAY 1, TESTED AT 88 DAYS{ JULY 28}AND 93 DAYS{AUGUST 2},AFTER MY EXPOSURE ON MAY 1.

BOTH NEGATIVE THROUGH ELISA COMB-AIDS.

IS IT WOHOOOOOOOO TIME.

OR SHOULD I TEST AT 6 MONTHS.

LOVE ,REGARDS, DONATIONS AND NEVER TO BOTHER YOU AGAIN.

BYE

GOD BLESS SIR

Response from Dr. Horwath

The CDC recommends repeating the HIV ELISA test at baseline, week 4, week 12, and week 26, following an occupational exposure to a health care worker. If you believe you were stuck by a conaminated needle, this would be similar to an occupational exposure.

The risk of HIV infection following a needle stick depends on many factors. How deep was the needle stick? Was there visible blood on the needle? Was the needle used in an HIV infected person, and what stage of infection was that person in?

In any case, if your HIV ELISA is negative at 6 months, you should be fine. But next time, get your blood drawn in a safer facility.

Previous
Mental Anguish
Next
Experiementing to find the right medicine?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.