Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long-Term Survival
Sep 27, 2003

I have been living with hiv/aids for nearly 20 years. Prior to the introduction of new meds, I was as close to death as you can get. I started on proteases/cocktails and am today alive, vibrant, in love, and grateful.

However, there is always this constant buzz in my head that life -- my life -- should be more than it is. I remember when I started getting healthier I thought that I'd been given a second chance, but I'm afraid I don't feel I've done much with it.

Is this a common feeling? I've made a good life for me and my partner and there are days that I know deep in my heart that it's a miracle I'm alive. But there seems to be something missing. I am afraid I end the week thinking that working hard, making good money, and having a nice house are less rewarding than I thought. I've wondered if other long-term survivors, particularly those who were on the brink of death with me but are still alive, have similar feelings.

Volunteerism, getting out of myself and helping others I've done. It almost seems like a much deeper question.

Thanks.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

The question you are raising really does not have anything much to do with HIV status or being a long term survivor. If you read, poets, novelists and philosophers have been pondering what is a life well-lived for millenia. It is a process that each person must engage in for him or her self. Very often recovering form a near-death or almost fatal illness turns up the volume on these kinds of self-examinations.

If you are feeling deep existential stirrings of dissatisfaction with how you are living your life, it seems prudent not to ignore these, but to experiment with either how to change your life to better address those concerns or how to live your life with self-acceptance regarding how your life is curretnly structured.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Help, I am worried about my spouse with HIV+How can I hel[?
Next
unprotected sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.