Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will PET Scan detect HIV?
Sep 23, 2003

First of all I love this forum. Pardon me if I placed my question in the wrong section, but I have not found anyone who can answer this.

My possible infection was 3 and a half months ago. Last week was my first possible symptoms (small rashes on my arms and in my hands and a slight white coat on tongue).

Also last week I had a PET Scan, CT Scan and broncoscopy because I am a cancer survivor. They also took my blood. I understand that they may not detect HIV if they check blood, if they were not looking for it. But what are the chances that any of these scans, would have detected HIV?

Worried in LA

Response from Dr. Horwath

Signs and symptoms associated with waning immunity would not show up several months after a primary HIV infection. The average time between initial infection and symptoms such as opportunistic infection (eg. oral thrush) is 10 years.

The blood test for HIV (Elisa confirmed by Western blot) is highly sensitive and highly specific for HIV. It is the best screening tool we have available.

A PET scan is not likely to pick up signs of HIV infection.

Previous
Over Medicating
Next
Could my meds have caused false negative ELISA's?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.