Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OCD for HIV
Sep 18, 2003

I have a private pt. with OCD re: HIV. We have several questions to ask you regarding transmission of the HIV virus. 1. How much blood is necessary to transmit the disease? 2. If I have a cut on my finger, how deep must the cut be to have the virus infect me? 3. How long does it take for the virus to die after it is exposed to the air? I picked up a coin the other day, and if it had tainted blood on it, what is the likelihood that I could get the virus? 4. If I were actively bleeding from my small cut on my thumb, would my own blood act as a barrier or a host to become infected? I would appreciate your answers and any referrences you can provide me to alleviate my fears.

Response from Dr. Horwath

1) The risk of transmission by infected blood is directly related to the type of exposure. The highest risk is with deep injection (eg. with a needle into a vein or deep under the skin). Substantial risk is associated with blood spilled onto mucous membranes or an open cut or abraded skin. The lowest risk is blood spilled onto intact skin. The quantity of blood is less important than the route of exposure. A small amount of infected blood injected into a vein may cause transmission, whereas a large amount of blood spilled onto intact skin is not likely to cause transmission.

2 and 4) If a cut is open and unhealed, then it is a possible portal of virus entry. A fresh cut with visible blood poses a high risk if exposed to infected blood or other infected body fluids. Your own blood is not a barrier.

3) HIV is not a robust virus outside of a host. Transmission needs to be direct, blood to blood, body to body. You cannot catch it by picking up a coin.

Previous
depressed on two antidepressants
Next
afraid of whats to come

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.