Behaviour

I ahve a friend who I have know for 20 years. He contracted the virus about 14 years ago. He seems to be in good health but his behaviour is showing signs of change. He is becoming withdrawn, secretive, etc. I thinh there is some depression too.He is 51 years old and takes alot of meds every day.His mind is still very sharp it is just the behaviour that is really concerning me at this time. Is this possibly a natural provression for someone that has had it for so long?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

While HIV can certainly affect a person's central nervous system and has the ability to cause changes in his or her moods and behaviors it is imposible to say for sure whether or not this is the cause of the changes you are observing in your friend. The only way to be certain is if he goes to a neuorologist who specializes in working with people who have HIV and has a complete neuro-psychiatric evaluation done. Sorry not to be able to be of more help.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

infections , might it be ?
Long-Term Survivor HIV Denial