30 years

You recently said in an answer that you had hiv virus for 30 years? That would be since 1973! How can that be--the first reported cases I heard about were in 1981 or 1982. Please explain?

Thanks Kevin

Response from Mr. Shernoff

In the 1970s I was one of about 2,000 gay men who participated in a study conducted by the New York Blood Center about the prevalance of Hepatitis B among gay men. All of our blood samples were frozen. After the HIV test was developed the researchers tested all of those frozen blood samples for HIV. 18% of the blood samples tested tested HIV-positive. I was one of them.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Michael, I don't want to leave her because of fear. Please help
What can I expect?