Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it Selfish to talk to Poz friend about MY feelings?
Jul 29, 2003

Last year I accidently found out that my best friend is HIV positive. I am well educated about the condition and am always learning. Lately he has been saying and doing hurtful things, being very selfish and pushing me away as much as he can. I need to talk to him and let him know that I am here for him in every way but that I can't take anymore abuse from him. I've never been in a situation before where I could justify someone treating me badly but I can see that maybe this is his way of coping. I need to talk to him and let him know where I stand, how I feel and what I need but I don't want to look selfish in the process. I think he's neglecting the fact that as his best friend this has hit me perhaps as hard as it hit him. Soon he will have no family left in the city, he has no partner or even any prospects so far. He has few close friends and no support system other than me. I want him to know that I'm going through this with him emotionally. I am going through the stages just like he is. I just need to know how to talk about it without looking like I'm making this about me.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

To begin with this particular issue is all about you, and ow you are hurt, angry and concerned about how your friend is treating you. But that is ok. Your friend being positive does not give him license to mistreat you (or anyone else for that matter.) I do not subscribe to the notion that simply becasue a person is diagnosed with a life threatening illness this gives them permission to behave badly.

As a long time friend you have every reason to tell him how his behaviors are making you feel. If he has not chosen to share his HIV status with you then that does not need to be part of the conversation. Just share your feelings with him and depending upon whether or not he is empathic to your feelings and willing to engage with you will determine how and whether the conversation and friendship evolves.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Not ready to tell PARENTS but have NO CHOICE
Next
Co-dependancy PROGRESSion-.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.