Switching Paroxetine.

Hi Dr. Horwath, I have been 3 yrs. on Paroxetine, and recently was unable to ejaculate. All my labs are normal, with Testosterone Gel for replacement. I would like to stop taking Paroxetine.

1)Should I start to decrease the dose of Paroxetine? 2)Which antidepressant would be good for me? I am on Agenerase, Efavirenz, Norvir, and Abacavir and willing to have more energy. (am not anemic) Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I assume you were started on paroxetine for the treatment of depression. Problems with ejaculation are common side effects with paroxetine and the other SSRI's (a class of antidepressants). I don't know what dose of paroxetine you are on, but this side effect can sometimes be managed by reducing the dose. Another strategy is to add or substitute buproprion (Wellbutrin), which is sometimes helpful in managing this side effect.

I advise consulting with a psychiatrist who is familiar with these medicines to help you manage them.

Drinking a lot of beer
What to do when no one will help my daughter