Drinking a lot of beer

I find that drinking beer makes my day go easier. I call it a can of patience. Beer helps me relax; it seems to relieve my stress and make me a happier person. Friends now say, have a beer, or you need a beer when I get tense or upset. However, my waist size is telling me that Im drinking too much beer. Is there a mood stabilizer or antidepressant that I could take instead of having a beer at 10:00am? p.s. the beer really helps - trust me.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Drinking beer can definitely put weight on you, and cause other problems, like liver disease, gastrointestinal disease, and cognitive and psychiatric problems (if you drink enough over a long period of time).

You didn't mention if you are taking medications, such as antiretrovirals. If so, alcohol may also have implications for the metabolism of your medication.

If you have substantial tension and stress in your life, there are certainly healthier ways to cope than drinking beer at 10 AM. Perhaps you could seek a consultation from a mental health professional or substance abuse counselor to help with the problem.

Sustiva side effects
Switching Paroxetine.