Info on "Aids Dementia"

My husband and I are currently separated due to his unstable behaviour with myself and our two children. He was diagnosed as HIV positive 3 years ago and is still in denial. I would like to obtain more information on "Aids dementia" so that I may better understand where he is at. He refuses help and does not keep up with any meds he is given. So far the clinic has only given him an antibiotic. To me he is like walking time bomb, and I need to find out more about the mental effect of HIV/AIDS. Thanks, Bev

Response from Dr. Horwath

AIDS dementia is a condition caused by the direct effects of the virus on the brain. HIV gains entry into the central nervous system and starts a chain of events that may lead to slowed and impaired thinking, memory problems, tremors, gait problems and other signs and symptoms. AIDS dementia typically occurs in persons with advanced AIDS, ie. people who have a rising viral load and a failing immune system due to inadequate or ineffective treatment.

If you'd like to read more about this, I recommend the UCSF website: http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu. First click on knowledge base, then on AIDS dementia complex. Dr. Richard Price has written a very comprehensive review of the topic at this site. website

HIV, neurotransmission, and pain
Gone Bad Behavior