Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

18 years positive/anxiety out of control
Jul 2, 2003

I tested positive in April 1985. I have been on a variety of HIV meds over the years with tremendous side effect reactions (neuropathy, pancreatitis, weekly kidney stones, nightmares, etc. I have now stopped all HIV medications and will not be going back on any of them. I am currently taking Klonopin 2 mg qd, Doxepin 100 mg qpm, Ambien qpm, Asacol tid (unspecified colitis), acyclovir bid (herpes), Immodeum qd, and Reglan qpm (gastroparesis). As of 6/03, my last CD4 count 283, viral load 66. I see a psychiatrist, infectious disease Dr., and psychotherapist weekly.

Problem: I have discussed my ever increasing anxiety with both medical doctors and therapist. They cannot offer me any more help. My Dr. went so far to say that he felt "incompetent" when it comes to this (not a jab at my doc at all). I feel like no one is taking me seriously. I have been seeing the same ID Dr. for the entire 18+ years. I have tried all the new anti-depressant meds (Paxil, Prozac, Trazadone, etc.) I found no relief from these meds and my stress level is extremely high. I have also tried self-hypnosis, meditation, yoga, etc.

Do you have any suggestions? I really don't want to have to go to another Dr. but I am becoming desperate.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You certainly are doing everything correct in an attempt to take care of this crippling condition. But sometimes one needs to change their psychiatrist and or psychotherapist in order to jump start their treatment. I suggest that you shop for a new psychotherapist who is a psychiatrist so that you will only have to see one person for both your medication and talk therapy. This person clearly needs to be an expert in HIV/AIDS as well as general psychiatry. Ask your primary care doctor for some referrals and then comparison shop by scheduling consultations with two or three different people, being honest that you are shopping for a new mental health professional. I certainly understand how frustrating this has to be for you and feel badly that despite your best efforts you are still suffering so.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Panic attacks at my ends here!!!
Next
EDWARD.................PLEASE HELP ME{INDIA}

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.