Trying sustiva

Dr.,

I may be switching to sustiva soon. I have read about possible mental health problems with it. I have had depression before. I'm not on any medications for depression right now.

Do you see this as a problem?

thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

In one study, about 50% of people who took Sustiva suffered some psychiatric side effects. Most of these were mild and transient, and occurred early on in the treatment with Sustiva. Some patients on Sustiva have experienced more severe problems (depression, mood swings), and in some patients these side effects have been more persistent. There is at least one study that suggests the risk of psychiatric side effects is higher in those with a prior psychiatric history (e.g. depression).

If your medical/AIDS doctor believes that Sustiva is indicated for you, then you should discuss your concerns about the psychiatric side effects with him. If there is a reasonable alternative, you might choose that option. For example, the recent 2NN study suggested that efavirenz (Sustiva) and nevirapine (Viramune) were similar in effectiveness. Nevirapine may have advantages in those with a history of or higher risk for psychiatric problems.

If you decide to go with efavirenz, you should at least be monitored for the development of depression and other side effects.

effexor vs. prozac
What is the chance of getting bipolar disorder?