Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unexplained hostility toward girlfriend
Jun 11, 2003

Dear Doctors, My boyfriend recently died from AIDS. I had only known him for a year and a half. In that time but before he became overtly ill and was diagnosed, I had begun to notice some strange behaviors, such as occasional paranoia. After he went into the hospital, he became paranoid towards me, thinking I had been possibly poisoning him. He then stayed very angry and resentful towards me, although toward no one else, apparently, even though I had done none of the things he imagined. His family and friends believed what he said, although they were aware that he had been having delusions and was even put on psychological meds. No one told me when he died; I found out accidentally through the obituaries. We had been so close and were planning to spend the rest of our lives together, so I cannot understand why he turned on me in the last two months of his life. I am heartbroken over this, and of course, over his death. I wonder if there was something I could have done to more successfully communicate with him, although he was unable to handle any stress and when I visited him in the hospital, he did not seem to be the same man I had known.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

First of all I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I do not know if there was anything different you could have said or done. But from what you are describing it is very likely that the man you were involved with was suffereing symptoms of HIV related neuro-psychiatric disorder, or what used to be called "AIDS Dementia." HIV often attacks the brain directly, causing an individual to have profound changes in his or her mood and perceptions of the people and world around him or her. There is a good likelihood that the changes you experienced in this man, that caused you so much pain were caused by this. I offer you this infomration in the hope that it might bring you a measure of comfort.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
How Do I Find a Psychiatrist Who Will Help Me With My SS Disability Claim?
Next
"We are only as sick as our secrets."

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.