The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

valium vs diazepam

May 22, 2003

insurance companies, adaps, medicaid, and medicare are no longer paying for valium because they say that diazepam is its equal generic equivalent. I have heard over the years from many octors and pharmeceutical people that their molcular structures may be different by even one electron? Shouldn't they be considered diferent drugs and as such shouldn't valium be paid for since it (diazepam), in effect if what i say is true, is NOT identical to valium?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Valium (Roche) and generic diazepam are exactly the same drug, but made by different pharmaceutical companies. The active ingredient is the same no matter who manufactures it, as long as the process has good quality control. In recent years, the FDA has exerted more careful oversight of the quality control process in the manufacturers of generic drugs (e.g. diazepam). For this reason, safety problems have not been a big problem with generics of late. Rarely, a generic manufacturer will use a non-active filler component that is different from the original brand name pills. Rarely, this may cause a reaction in a patient with a particular sensitivity or allergy. However, the same could occur with any medicine, brand name or generic.

In my own clinical experience, I have seen no patient who experienced any problem with generic diazepam in contrast to the brand name product, Valium.

Nelson, thank god for you

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint