Mental Health Take Aways from IAPAC

Dr. Horwath,

I enjoyed seeing your presentation from IAPAC. I am very new to HIV education and I have been on Sustiva/Combivir cocktail for 5 months and am feeling more mentally uneasy than I was before I started treatment. I am very anxious and still experiencing awful dreams. Your conclusion stated that HAART benefits neuropsychological function. Is there something I could be doing differently, a different regimen perhaps? Much appreciated.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Most of the psychiatric side effects of Sustiva occur in the first one to two months. You are way past that. If you are still experiencing awful dreams, then you may benefit from a sedative, such as trazodone 50 mg at bedtime, or lorazepam 1 mg at bedtime. If the dreams continue, and really bother you, perhaps you should discuss this with your infectious disease specialist. Substitution of another NNRTI, such as Viramune, for Sustiva may be helpful if there is no contraindication for you.

Yes, HAART can benefit neuropsychological function. It is important to keep in mind that this occurs only in people who have experienced cognitive impairment due to HIV infection. The mechanism by which this probably occurs is by decreasing the viral load. In other words, HAART is not going to cause a general improvement in brain functioning for those who are not experiencing HIV-related central nervous system symptoms.

Sex Drive
genetic predisposition to bipolar disorder with hiv