Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Finding psychotherapist
Apr 30, 2003

No doubt you have answered this question before, but I could not find the answer. First, do you know of any way to find psychotherapists specifically trained to deal with the depression/anxiety issues of an HIV+ person? I am in Los Angeles, so I know there must be plenty, but am having trouble finding a list so that I can try and match one with Blue Shield's provider list. Second, for issues of depression and anxiety, is it better to seek out a psychiatrist initially, or a psychologist? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Luckily you do live in Los Angeles. Call the AIDS Project Los Angelels and ask them for a list of mental health providers who are skilled in owrking with people who have HIV/AIDS. It does nto really make a difference whether you start work with a social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist. If you need antidepresant medication and are not doing the talk therapy with a psychiatrist your therapist wil refer you to a psychopharmacologist who will prescribe medication.

Michael Shernof, MSW

Previous
life not very fulfilling
Next
Psych. meds... long term?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.