Finding psychotherapist

No doubt you have answered this question before, but I could not find the answer. First, do you know of any way to find psychotherapists specifically trained to deal with the depression/anxiety issues of an HIV+ person? I am in Los Angeles, so I know there must be plenty, but am having trouble finding a list so that I can try and match one with Blue Shield's provider list. Second, for issues of depression and anxiety, is it better to seek out a psychiatrist initially, or a psychologist? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Luckily you do live in Los Angeles. Call the AIDS Project Los Angelels and ask them for a list of mental health providers who are skilled in owrking with people who have HIV/AIDS. It does nto really make a difference whether you start work with a social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist. If you need antidepresant medication and are not doing the talk therapy with a psychiatrist your therapist wil refer you to a psychopharmacologist who will prescribe medication.

Michael Shernof, MSW

life not very fulfilling
Psych. meds... long term?