The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wee hours support/ HIV+

Apr 29, 2003

Hello. Can you help? I was wondering if there are any on-line HIV+ chat lines for people who are newly diagnosed and who need emotional support. I was diagnosed in November and though I'm starting to see a therapist and I am trying to get into a support group, sometimes I get very sad and scared at night and I just want someone to talk to -- but I also want some distance (I live alone). I don't feel safe right now to call anyone I know at night when I start to feel weepy, and I wonder if there is any other way I can get some support and solidarity at these times. I've tried to find a chat line that is like this, but I am not too familiar with services available, etc. Are there phone lines or chat lines? I am a new teacher and I'm busy and running around most of the day -- sometimes I don't think about my diagnosis until I'm alone in bed, and then I get so afraid and so sad. What advice can you give? I'm trying to stay positive, but sometimes I have so much fear. Thanks so much, I do appreciate your help.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

On some of the major internet providers like AOL and MSN in members created chat rooms there are HIV+ chat rooms that you can go to. You have to just carefully explore the Internet using a search engine like to locate HIV+ chat rooms.

They exist but I can not be any more helpful than this. Good luck in locating them.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

poz for 20 years
life not very fulfilling

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint