Wee hours support/ HIV+

Hello. Can you help? I was wondering if there are any on-line HIV+ chat lines for people who are newly diagnosed and who need emotional support. I was diagnosed in November and though I'm starting to see a therapist and I am trying to get into a support group, sometimes I get very sad and scared at night and I just want someone to talk to -- but I also want some distance (I live alone). I don't feel safe right now to call anyone I know at night when I start to feel weepy, and I wonder if there is any other way I can get some support and solidarity at these times. I've tried to find a chat line that is like this, but I am not too familiar with services available, etc. Are there phone lines or chat lines? I am a new teacher and I'm busy and running around most of the day -- sometimes I don't think about my diagnosis until I'm alone in bed, and then I get so afraid and so sad. What advice can you give? I'm trying to stay positive, but sometimes I have so much fear. Thanks so much, I do appreciate your help.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

On some of the major internet providers like AOL and MSN in members created chat rooms there are HIV+ chat rooms that you can go to. You have to just carefully explore the Internet using a search engine like Google.com to locate HIV+ chat rooms.

They exist but I can not be any more helpful than this. Good luck in locating them.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

poz for 20 years
life not very fulfilling