Dementia?????

I have been taking the Cocktails for years! (18yrs). I am on the same regimen for quite some time now, to weigh out side effect views. My doc has a ignorance about him and I'm in process of changing, I get no answeres from him! I recently have been experi- encing (About a week) really severe nightmares, seeing people at night and unable to respond, can't move for inst- ance. Numerous others and many one after another in the same night. I am really scaring my fiancee at night and need to know what I can do or a med I may take? I have dealt with HIV/AIDS for 19yrs. Taught it in prisons etc. etc. This is just a recent problem that has developed, do you have any positive suggestions or approaches? Thank-You, eyestb@aol.com

Response from Dr. Horwath

Although they may be disturbing, nightmares are not in and of themselves harmful. Dreaming is a normal process and a nightmare is a type of dream with some scary content. Nightmares may occur when you are experiencing some anxiety in your waking life or some other type of sleep disturbance.

An anti-anxiety medication or sedative at bedtime may be helpful. For HIV-related sleep problems, trazodone 50 mg at bedtime is often helpful.

Nightmares are sometimes caused by medications, including anitretroviral medications. The most common cause among antiretroviral drugs is efavirenz. Nightmares and vivid dreams are a common side effect of efavirenz.

Psych symptoms after stopping Videx + Zerit
HIV EIA test and Immunosuppressants