HIV Mental Health Online Resource

Hi Michael -- This is Ken Howard in LA. I love reading this section of The Body because you know I admire all of your work very much.

I wanted to follow up on the guy in Ohio who wrote to you about not having access to a mental health provider knowledgable about HIV in the area where he lives. You suggested he get a referral from his HIV-specialist physician and possibly travel for this service. However, though I hate to be shamelessly self-promoting, I am a licensed psychotherapist in California who specializes in gay men's health and HIV, and I offer "online therapy" as a staff therapist of a service called Mytherapynet.com. This might come in handy for the guy in Ohio or others who live in isolated places. The service charges market rates for private psychotherapy, so it wouldn't help everyone, but it might help those who are able to pay for therapy but cannot access an HIV mental health specialist locally. Is there any way of relaying this to the reader in Ohio? I can also be reached directly at kbhmsw@aol.com for more information on this service. Online therapy is not the same as in-person treatment, but it is a new and emerging modality and could be a good resource to some. What do you think?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and the attention of others who may benefit frrm it. I am posting it on this forum in the hope that the person who wrote requesting information will read this and that it may possibly help him.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Considering side effects
HELP! I'm killing myself with worry.