telling the kids

I am the NP that asked yesterday about how to tell the kids ages 12 &14, The mom has plans for where the children will go and whois in control of their monies. The children know sheis sick with a brain abscess. my question is what do we tell them andhow! How do we protect them fromthe prejudement of others at school and in the neighborhood. cousins are already avoiding the family. The children are in counseling since the death of their dad. I just want to have the right words for these kids.. please help me, michele

Response from Mr. Shernoff

The first step is that you sit down with their mom and brain storm with her. Together you devise a plan about what to tell them and when. This can only be done in collaboration with her. There is not any way you can protect them from other people's prejudice.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

AIDS related dementia and substance abuse
supporting poz friend